A post that I wanted to share during Diwali but unfortunately I could not as my little boy came down with fever and then it passed on to me and the whole weekend went by rushing one of us in turns to the doctor. Diwali at home has always been special, be it the oil bath, mom's cooking, the oil diya's or the fire crackers. Celebrating the festival with the family makes it more special. My parents used to buy crackers much ahead of Diwali and we eagerly waited to open the packets. On the Lakshmi pooja day, I and my dad would decorate my grand mother's Lakshmi idol with flowers and gold, mom would be busy with cooking and brother would arrange the fire crackers. In the evening all our cousins would come home and after the Pooja we would enjoy the fire cracker session. After the fire crackers, everyone would join to clear the mess and then we would have a campfire. Over the years we have minimized the usage of fire crackers. But the memories of the olden days will surely warm us up.
My little one will surely miss these things being far away from our home. I am sure my in-laws and parents would have loved it if he would be there during festivals. He would have so many fond memories just the way his mom does. I try to celebrate most of the festivals here in effort to make little memories for my little one. He is still young to understand though.
This Diwali I made some wheat laddus aka Churmundo, Rasmalai and 7 cup Barfi. This is the first time I attempted making Barfi's at home. They are quite simple and very tasty too.
Here is what's needed:
1 cup Besan/ Chick pea flour
1 cup Ghee
1 cup grated coconut ( I added 2 tbsp of finely chopped cashew too)
1 cup milk
3 cups Sugar
1) Grease a brownie tray or a plate to set the Barfi.
2) Heat a non stick kadhai and dry roast the flour for 2-3 minutes. Take care that colour does not change.
3) Mix all the ingredients in the kadhai and cook it on medium flame for almost 20-25 mins. Keep stirring in between to ensure that the sweet does not stick to the bottom.
4) The mixture will bubble while cooking and when it is done will start leaving the sides. Switch off the flame and transfer immediately to the greased tray.
5) Let it cool for some time. When the mixture is still warm cut into desired shapes.
6) When completely cooled transfer to an air tight container.