1 cup Rava/Semolina
1 cup curds
1 small carrot grated
2 green chilli's chopped fine
1/4 cup boiled green peas or fresh green peas
small ginger piece chopped finley
a pinch of Baking soda
chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp Urad dal(Split Black gram)
Few curry leaves
1/2 tsp Chana dal (I left them out as I did not have it in hand)
1) Dry roast the semolina on medium flame until it gives out a nice aroma. Let it cool completely.
2) Mix in the curds + salt + baking soda + veggies.
3) Prepare the seasoning by heating oil and adding in the mustard. Once it splutters and urad dal and fry until pink. Add the chana dal and fry until done. Add curry leaves and stir. Pour the seasoning onto the rava mixture. Mix well. Let it sit for 30 mins.
4) After thirty minutes check the consistency of the batter. It should be of normal idli batter consistency. If not you may add little water and mix. Place chopped cashews on each of the slots of the greased idli plate and pour the batter into them. Steam for 10 to 15 mins.
5) Serve hot with Chutney of your choice.
The rava idli's did come out very soft but I was not very sure of the texture as I had used very fine rava (Semolina) as that is the only variety available here. I would love to try this with a little bigger sized rava next time.