1 Cup Black or white chana soaked overnight and boiled
3-4 tbsp Grated coconut
1 small lemon sized Jaggery
A big pinch of Asafoetida(Hing) or 2 tsp hing water
1 small Potato or equal sized Sweet Potato boiled
1 Green chilli's slit
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
6-8 Curry leaves
1 Red Chilli torn apart
1) Pressure cook chana until done (Usually takes 4 whistles and then simmer for ten minutes and then switch off. If the Chana is old then it takes more time to cook).
2) Remove excess water retaining a little to boil potato or sweet potato. Do not throw this water it can be used to make Saaru.
3) Add cubed potato/Sweet Potato,Green chilli's slit and cook until the Potato's are done. Add salt,hing and jaggery and bring it to boil. Add little water if needed.
4) Sprinkle grated coconut and mix until done. Switch off the gas.
5) Prepare seasoning by heating oil and adding mustard seeds. When they splutter add red chilli and curry leaves. Pour this seasoning over the Chana and mix well. Serve hot with Phovu.
Variation: If you do not want to add either Potato or sweet Potato you can completely skip this. Instead just mix a little besan say 1 tbsp with water and add this while adding green chilli's (Step 3). Proceed accordingly as per the recipe. If preparing this dish for lunch Raw banana can be used instead of Potato/Sweet Potato. Reduce the amount of jaggery if needed and increase the chilli's for spicyness.
P.S: The Water retained from Chana can be boiled well with green chilli with salt and small piece of jaggery to taste. Prepare seasoning by heating oil and adding few crushed garlic. Fry until golden and then add torn red chilli. Pour this over the Saaru. Serve hot with rice.