On the day I was to travel from Mangalore to Shanghai, amma invited my parents over for lunch and few of my friends. [My hubby was already in Shanghai and I joined him later as my papers were not done yet]. She asked me what to make and my only request was to make this bhath. My mother and she whipped up all my favs :). My flight was in the in the evening at 6 or so. So I had this for breakfast, lunch and also evening tea!! Such is my love for this.
After coming here hubby too was reminded of this bhath and would always tell me to make "Amma's pulao". One fine day I called her up and got the recipe from her and made it. It was not as perfect as she makes it (probably it was missing her touch!) but was indeed enjoyed by both of us happily.
Here is what's needed:
1 cup Basmati Rice or any long grain rice
2 cups chopped vegetables like Cauliflower,Carrot, Beans, Potato
1 small green Capsicum chopped
1 medium Tomato chopped
1 medium Onion chopped
8-10 Cashews broken (Optional)
Salt & Sugar to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
5-8 curry leaves (I do not add as I dont get them easily here)
2 tbps Oil/ Ghee (Ghee definitely tastes better)
2 green Cardamoms
1 inch Cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh grated Coconut
2-3 green Chilli's
1 Bay leaf
1 star Anise
1 tsp Poppy seeds
1/3 cup Coriander leaves
3-4 Garlic cloves
1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
small piece of Ginger
small piece of Tamarind
1) Cook Rice and drain it. Fluff with fork and let it cool down.
2) Meanwhile make a paste with ingredients mentioned under "To grind" with little water.
3) Heat Oil/Ghee. Add Mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add in the curry leaves if using & broken cashews fry until golden.
4) Add Onion and little salt. Saute until transparent.Add in chopped tomato. Saute for few mins and add the ground masala and continue to saute until the raw smell goes off.
5) Add in the chopped veggies and capsicum and saute it. Sprinkle water if you notice the paste sticking to the bottom of the Pan. It usually happens to me since I add lesser Oil than actually required! Cover and cook until the veggies are done and is still crunchy to bite on.
6) Add Salt and Sugar to taste. Add in the cooked rice and mix well until the rice has nicely blended with the masala. Take care not to break the rice. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 mins.
Serve hot with Tomato-Onion Raita.
I am sending away this Pulao over to Srivalli who is hosting Rice mela. I am also sending Nucchi~ Coconut rice & Undi ~ Steamed Rice Balls over to participate in the mela. Thanks srivalli for this wonderful event.