Corn mixture is one of the snacks that can be easily made at home. It needs very less ingredients and takes just 15-20 mins from start to finish. Kids love this snack as its not very spicy and very crunchy. You can use cashews, raisins , dry coconut flakes to this to make it more flavorful. I Love it with just peanuts but do add raisins as my son loves them.
Here is what's needed:
2 cups dry cornflakes poha (This is available at Indian stores as corn poha)
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
a fistful of raisins
2 springs of fresh curry leaves
2 green chilli slit(Optional)
1/2 - 1 tsp of red chilli powder
salt to taste
1-2 tbsp of sugar powder
Oil to deep fry
1) Heat oil. deep fry peanuts on low flame until they slit open slightly and look crisp. Drain and let it cool.
2) Deep fry curry leaves and green chilli until curry leaves crisp up. Drain and let it cool.
3) If using raisins or cashew deep fry them and drain. Let it cool.
4) In the same oil start deep frying the corn poha in batches until they fluff up. They don't take much time so keep an eye on them to prevent burning, Drain on a paper towel.
5) when the the fried corn flakes are still warm transfer them to a huge bowl and add the deep fried peanuts, curry leaves, green chilli, raisins and cashew if using , salt, powder sugar and red chilli powder. toss or mix gently so that the seasoning is evenly distributed. Check for seasoning and add as per your taste.
6) When cool transfer it into a clean air tight container and Enjoy!
1) You can make the mixture with deep fried thick poha instead of corn poha.
2) Increase the chilli powder if you prefer spicy snacks.
3) You can make a powder of roasted jeera and coriander powder as seasoning. My MIL used to make the mixtures with this powder.